Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

?

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
They are always with us.......
Similar topics

The Tarot's Reader's Black Book

Go down 
+4
reverend tristan
Freddie Valentine
Graham Yates
Christopher J Gould
8 posters

Worth buying?
Yes
The Tarot's Reader's Black Book I_vote_lcap88%The Tarot's Reader's Black Book I_vote_rcap
 88% [ 14 ]
No
The Tarot's Reader's Black Book I_vote_lcap6%The Tarot's Reader's Black Book I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Perhaps
The Tarot's Reader's Black Book I_vote_lcap6%The Tarot's Reader's Black Book I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Registration date : 2008-03-17

The Tarot's Reader's Black Book Empty
PostSubject: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:18 am

So, here I am perched anxiously opposite my sitter. Now, it is not that I have not done this before, but my hands are sweating. Why? For the first time, I am using an impression device before the reading….. And it is all Freddie Valentine's fault! Normally, I am a bit of a purist with tarot - I have a respect based in it's antiquity.
Although I am not ready to believe in angels yet, I do use the tarot as a serious physiological tool. This means never using trickery.
However, reading this book led me into 'bad company', and here I am taking my peek, as the hapless sitter gazes with anticipation at the wisp of smoke rising from her burning paper.
I reliably inform her of the details of her concern.
I look up and tears are running down her cheeks!
At this point I am thinking; 'Hey, Freddie's book is a good buy!'.
My wife, who is a witch (and I mean this in the nicest possible way!) is appalled at my behaviour and threatens to leave me. But, I have got to admit - this is a powerful reaction - I nailed it point blank. From now on, she is putty in my hands (not that I use such direct methodology).

So what is in Lord Valentine's dangerous little book?

The book is aimed directly at the open eyed performer. This makes it an interesting read, as I feel I do not fall neatly into either open eyed, or closed eyed camp. I suspect that most of us are - well, squint eyed performers.
There is no apology about using deception or trickery to get results. This is tarot for the working entertainer, all you serious folk had better gather up your love-beads and head on out.

The book goes through pretty much everything you would need - from buying a deck and setting up a reading to ensure it goes well, through to a 'squint eye's' interpretation of the cards.
I did not particularly find very much I did not already know. So the book would be ideal for someone who is thinking of moving into this field. Particularly if that person is already a magi/mentalist. It is at this group the that book is clearly aimed at. That is not to say that the book is of no use to those of us more long in the tooth (or fang).
The fact that it is concise, well written and covers all of the ground makes it valuable. Also, as I point out in my little story at the beginning; it can work wonders for reminding you of things you forgot and generally revitalising ideas that may have gone sepia in a forgotten corner of your mind.
Take for example the interpretation of the cards. Anyone at the stage of 'being around a bit', will know this stuff already. However, in this book it is presented in such a succinct manner, and so practically aimed at real world performance, that it of immense use to even the most gnarled old dog.

It is this fact that this book is clearly written by someone with experience 'in the field' that makes this so informative and (above all) so practical. Frankly, it is a breath of fresh air to read a book by someone who has performed beyond the 'my granny and my mum' circuit. How I could have really used this when I started out - it would have made so much so much easier.

The book is also delightfully light on the moral aspects. It does remind us (as it should) that we are dealing with the deep psychology of people when we read. At the same time Freddie recognises that we are all grown ups (an assumption built on the fact that children can no longer read?!). I do not need the endless debate and wagging finger of the morally correct on this. I can make my own mind up.

As I have mentioned the book is very clearly written and it is very easy to digest and find your way around - revision of key topics is easy due to the logical layout.
Criticism, none - no really - it does it's job perfectly.

If you are a total tarot virgin, or have been in a long term relationship with these mysterious little pasteboards, there is stuff of real value here - go buy it.
Back to top Go down
Graham Yates
Neophyte
Neophyte
Graham Yates

Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 am

I bought I pack of my Raider Waite Tarot a few months ago, mainly because I felt I should have a pack, no other reason really. Though ultimately this is something I want to get more experience of and use.

There they sat, with me not really knowing what to do with them. I have a few resources on the Tarot that I have read and studied, which have been helpful in me understanding the meanings, but Freddie's book is a lot simpler and cleaner to understand.

Yes I think this is worth getting you cant go wrong for the price.
Back to top Go down
Freddie Valentine
200 Posts
200 Posts

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated.

Having worked for many years in the shut-eye world, I have seen first hand how apalling many of them can be and often friends on mine who paid for readings felt conned and short-changed afterwards and tried to tie the obscure comments into something that relates to them, often finding links that were more convulted than the clues on 3-2-1.
I asked them what would be the perfect tarot and reading and what would they expect from it and what would make them feel it was money well spent. Many wanted the psychic to say things about them that no one else could know, some hoped they could divine what their problem was and how to resolve it and others just wanted proof that psychic powers actually did exist.

When I started to give tarot readings professionally (you feel guilty taking people's money at first) I decided to try and fit this criteria by any means necessary and once these techniques and subtleties had been tested on people and firmly put in place, I utilised them at every professional sitting I had with excellent results.

One funny thing that happened was when I was working regularly in a local new age shop and many of the clients mentioned a tarot reader (who was apparently well known locally) and said that they thought I was far better and told her about my readings. Well, one day this woman came to me for a reading herself (I knew it was her as I remembered the name and heard the shop assitant welcome her). After giving her a good reading, using many of my convincers she was stunned and said "I have heard about you from many people and wanted to come along to see if you were as good as they say you are. Exactly HOW do you do all of these things? I have never seen anything like this in all my years of giving readings. Are you truly for real?"

I replied: "Well I can't explain any of these things. Can you?"

She looked puzzled and said: "No...no I can't."

The look on her face was priceless and she probably still meditating in a room with candles to this day, wishing for the power of telekinisis.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lybrary.com/tarot-readers-black-book-p-77423.html
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Very Happy
Great story!
Back to top Go down
reverend tristan
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Well worth the money, wish I'd read it when I started doing readings. Making me wanna go out and rent a Reading room again.
Back to top Go down
nikmagick
Neophyte
Neophyte
nikmagick

Registration date : 2010-01-09

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 5:35 am

It's a great little book.

Does anyone know if the forum for the book is active? I can't seem to see it (admittedly I've probably not looking in the right place) Embarassed

Nik
Back to top Go down
Freddie Valentine
200 Posts
200 Posts

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 am

Thanks Nik. The forum is still active, it seems that your account has not been accessed to see it yet.

Chris, would you please allow Nik access to the Tarot forum?

Thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 10:04 am

On the case!
Nick try a refresh in about 5 mins and let me know if there is sill a problem.
Back to top Go down
vlad tepes
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-06-29

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 5:42 pm

could someone please tell me how to get access to this forum as well please.

i already have freddies book, thats what drew me to this site in the first place. Wink
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 6:36 pm

I need Freddie to pm me as proof you have the book - which I am sure you do.
(unfortunately the forum structure does not allow for passwords, which would be a lot easier!)
Then I will let you in.....
If you have done this already - my apologies - pm me and I will put it right.
Back to top Go down
Freddie Valentine
200 Posts
200 Posts

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 am

Vlad does own the book, so please open the gates for him.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 am

On the case - you are in Vlad. With a name like that - I am not going to mess around!
Back to top Go down
vlad tepes
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-06-29

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks guys cheers
Back to top Go down
Freddie Valentine
200 Posts
200 Posts

PostSubject: Jim Magus' review.   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Jim Magus, one of bizarre magick's greats, has reviewed the book for www.mysteryentertainers.com.

Here's his review:

I have been reading tarot cards for forty years. My venue of choice (because of both pay and the upbeat environment) has been the corporate world, where agents will hire me as one of the entertainers, along with strolling magicians, caricature artists, etc.

When I came across Ron Martin’s Tarot Reader’s Notebook in 1990, I initially thought I already knew all I needed to know about reading tarot cards, so I was slow to open his book. Once I began reading it, I was delighted with the wealth of information it contained. I even changed the card layout I had been using for twenty years. It opened my mind to reading new material on the subject.

I taught my wife Melania how to read tarot cards in 1992 and she quickly surpassed me with her natural ability. Bascom Jones, editor of Magick, commented favorably in his magazine about Melania’s skills.

In May of this year, Lord Freddie Valentine (editor of the new bizarrist emag the Mystic Menagerie) put out an ebook titled the Tarot Reader’s Black Book for Magicians and Occult Entertainers. It is not targeted for experienced readers. Rather, it provides an overview that teaches a novice performer how to read tarot cards rather quickly. Chapters include Buying a Tarot Deck, Starting the Reading (establishing rapport), Subtle Convincers (brief mentalism bits that can be used to demonstrate your intuitive powers), Stock Phrases and Cold Reading, Hot Reading (using information you’re acquired on social networking sites and elsewhere), an important chapter on Ethics, Practicing Readings, A Basic Guide to the Cards Meaning, Pumping Up the Hits (how to make the most of the info you have gleamed), Dealing with Tricky Customers (something I hadn’t thought of teaching Melania, but on her first corporate gig she encountered both the clam who would not respond at all and the wreck who wanted to know from a stranger if she should divorce her husband), Places to Work, and Recommended Reading (for a beginner). Purchasers have access to a private forum for additional concepts and tips to help with readings. The forum might be quite handy for a novice to be able to ask specific questions.

In full disclosure, I was given the ebook to review. At 42 pages, there is not a lot of depth, but at a corporate gig when a magician friend, working the line of people waiting for the fortune-teller, wants to know how he too can learn the biz, this is a good place to start. $20 for an ebook from www.Lybrary.com.
Back to top Go down
Ray Noble
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 1:25 am

I just ordered this E-Book because of what I just read here. Looking forward to reading it!
I also ordered Paul Voodini's Reader of Minds.

Best
Ray Noble
Back to top Go down
http://noblemagic.com/
roddy1
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Tarot Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 3:08 am

Hi - I discovered this site through Zoltan but already have Freddie Valentine's book and would like access to the forum. Is this possible ? I can offer proof of purchase if needed. regards Rod
Back to top Go down
Ray Noble
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 am

roddy1 wrote:
Hi - I discovered this site through Zoltan but already have Freddie Valentine's book and would like access to the forum. Is this possible ? I can offer proof of purchase if needed. regards Rod

The E-book tells you what to do to go to the forum.

Ray

Last edited by Ray Noble on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://noblemagic.com/
roddy1
Neophyte
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 2:56 am

Thanks for the reply - I've had a problem downloading the e-book which turns out to be my inexperience rather than any fault with the book. I use a Sony e-reader for portable reasons and all is now clear. regards Rod
Back to top Go down
roddy1
Neophyte
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 12:43 am

I've downloaded Lord Freddie's book and have the password but can't seem to find the forum - I'm afraid I have difficulties with finding my way around these sites and would be grateful for a nudge in the right direction. regards Rod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tarot's Reader's Black Book   The Tarot's Reader's Black Book Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tarot's Reader's Black Book
Page 1 of 1