Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

?

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
They are always with us.......

Strategy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Graham Yates
Neophyte
Neophyte
Graham Yates

Registration date : 2009-11-12

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Strategy   Strategy EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:14 am

The moon is a place where we hopefully strive to stand out from other forums, Chris is always trying to get us to “Think outside the box”, and push the boundaries of our art, with that in mind I wondered if the following would be a good starting point for when we have those blank moments.

I was recently reading a Biography of Brian Eno and his method of recording David Bowies Lodger album, where everyone’s roles were mixed up making them uncomfortable and yet at the same time creative with their new instruments. From this resulted in his creation of the Oblique strategy cards.

I know there has been mention of a “cookbook” on the forum that would reference the different principles that we use to create our effects.

What if we created our own set of Oblique strategy cards to spark our imagination, this could be divided into two maybe three sets.

Set one (methods)
Swami writing
Pre show
One ahead
Etc.....

Set Two (effects)
Out of this world
Cards across
Magic square
Etc..

We could create a proper list and use the cards ourselves, or we could use them to challenge ourselves on the forum every so often by selection a card form each set and using that as a “Create an effect Challenge.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Registration date : 2008-03-17

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy   Strategy EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Again, interesting thinking Graham. I like this idea a lot, and think we should work it up.
Evie said something that stuck in my mind in a telephone conversation. She said something along the lines of 'you old mentalist bastards always get stuck in a rut of thinking' (did I get that right Evie?). We (and I very much include myself here) do think along certain preset tramlines. We have certain things stuck as presets in our minds. What if we expand this exercise to include lists of things we do not usually think of in mentalism?

I dunno, things like psychological states. Making people see things that are not there. Past life regression. Sensing the aura. crazy shit like that. Perhaps mixed in with some trad stuff.

you could end up with Swami writing and making people see a ghost!

Now that would be thinking outside the box.
Also, trying to come up with solutions to impossible combinations would really stretch our creativity.
IN my world view - creativity works by setting the unconscious novel and often impossible problems to solve. Bury a seed, let the unconscious spit up an impossible plant, then propagate it!

what do we all think about rising to this challenge?
Back to top Go down
ALEXANDRE
Administrator
ALEXANDRE

Registration date : 2008-03-14

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy   Strategy EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 am

The wilder the better, a great idea to spark the imagination!

I would certainly contribute to the list. I can see interesting things coming out of it.

This also reminds me a little of the "Creative Whack Pack". I bought this thing many years ago, and every now and then pull it out to play with it.

"The Creative Wack Pack consists of 64 cards each focusing on a different creativity principle. The 64 cards are divided into four sixteen card suits: Explorer, Artist, Judge, and Warrior. These represent the four roles or types of thinking of the creative process.

The Explorer is your role for discovering the resources you'll use to create new ideas. The cards in the Explorer suit highlight places and ways to find new information.

The Artist is your role for transforming your resources into new ideas. The cards in the Artist suit provide you with idea-generating techniques.

The Judge is your role for evaluating an idea and deciding what to do with it. The cards in the Judge suit lend decision making advice.

The Warrior is your role for implementing your idea. The cards in the Warrior suit give you the "kick" you need to get your ideas into action.

There are several ways the cards can be used. One example is the "Creative Licencing at Meetings". At the beginning of a meeting, deal out five cards to each participant. The cards give each person permission to make a point related to that card as you work though the meeting agenda. A participant may play a card at any time if he or she feels thtat its message will help the meeting."

I could definitely see something like his being applied to our field, created and developed by Alchemy Moon!

www.creativewhack.com/product.php?productid=64&cat=1&page=1

Also sold through Amazon and available for the iPhone as an app.
Back to top Go down
http://www.EyesandMinds.com
Graham Yates
Neophyte
Neophyte
Graham Yates

Registration date : 2009-11-12

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy   Strategy EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

Ok whats the best way to progress this then?

post your ideas for the list here.
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Registration date : 2008-03-17

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy   Strategy EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am

Alex is full of these weird and interesting card sets. This seems to be an exceptionally good idea.
A creators tool kit?
It does need a little thinking........
Could be very exciting...............
I feel like writing.........

However, we need a drive on the moon to get some new blood, good blood here, but more needed to sustain such an idea....
perhaps......
Back to top Go down
bob1a
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy   Strategy EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Has anyone had a thorough look at Stewart James strategies?
This could be a thread on its own.
bob1a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategy   Strategy Empty

Back to top Go down

Strategy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alchemy Moon :: Archive :: The Old Moon :: ALBINO :: General Chat-
Jump to: