Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

?

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
They are always with us.......

Reviews!

Go down 
+5
ALEXANDRE
Evie Harris
Freddie Valentine
Nathan Pain
Christopher J Gould
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Registration date : 2008-03-17

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 6:08 pm

It would be great to see a few reviews up here.
First I would really like to see a review or two of Nathan's Tattoo project up here. I cannot really do one, as I have a routine in it. However, even with this handicap, it is a fantastic piece of work. For some reason Suspect it seems to have been 'blackballed' by most of the community and on the Magic Crappy, in particular. It did get a mention on Magic Talk, but only a small one.

I will be posting a review of Lebanon Circle's 'On The Blood', and Dr.Todd's Rorschach cards soon.
Then something occurred to me - these are people who are either one the Moon - or who I really want to be on the moon. So, how do I avoid sycophantic reviews. The sort of hysterical rubbish you see mewed out to Outlaw on the Magic Crappy.
I really think all reviews should be fair and critical. NO HYPE. We all know where to go if you want that.

But, how can we say nasty things about our friends (btw, don't worry too much Dr.T and Dan/Paul - as Santa brought me some 'good shit' this year!)?

One thing I am sure of - I want all reviews to be hype free and honest.

Can we achieve this?
Back to top Go down
Nathan Pain
300 Posts
300 Posts
Nathan Pain

Registration date : 2008-03-15

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 9:17 pm

I hope this can be achieved...I kind of like that Tattoo may stay kind of underground...of course I also like making sure the bill collectors don't trample my grass!

I feel Tattoo deserves more than it has gotten...

Nathan
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 12:36 am

damn right!
Back to top Go down
Freddie Valentine
200 Posts
200 Posts

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 am

When I review things I like to be honest. I think if there are negative points then they should be addressed so that people can make their minds up as to whether the postives outweigh the effects shortcomings and also if it is something they would get use of.

Some things sound great in print but performing them for an audience is a nightmare.

(Talking of the green place, Chris, they are going mad over there for a lump of plasticene being moved by a magnet - odd world...)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lybrary.com/tarot-readers-black-book-p-77423.html
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 am

At the Green place - the quality of the idea or routine has nothing to do with it. It will all depend upon who you are, if you pay for advert space or who your connections are - and if you 'gang' of hypers are allowed access to operate.
This is why you would never go there to find out an honest review.
Would it be great if this service could be provided here? That the rumour spread that the Moon is the place to go for honest reviews.
I am questioning if this would be possible? Or indeed necessary. We are evolving quite a nice, small, happy family here, and I really like it that way.
If someone here put out something I thought was about as much use as a turd on a stick, I really would feel uncomfortable openly saying so in a review.
All I can say is, that we should aim to make each review we post truthful and incisive. I know that this is what I would want if my stuff is reviewed here (ya gotta wait till summer tho, before sharpening your cyber-quillls). The green place is the place to go for hyping and increasing sales. There does need to be somewhere to go to get a trusted review. I still buy quite a bit, in the way a child buys a toy, and largely for the same motivation.
Just open your magic draw/cupboard/box - have a look back - don't ask yourself how much stuff have you used, but how much have you enjoyed and has in some way been a good purchase. Bet you can count it on the fingers of one hand!
Hey, I feel a 'desert island magic shop purchase' coming on!
Back to top Go down
Evie Harris
200 Posts
200 Posts
Evie Harris

Registration date : 2009-09-08

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 am

The problem I have with reviews is the level of the reviewer. I could take the best card effect out there and given my total tootness with cards, i would give it a horrific review. Same as if someone else took something etc etc ...

Maybe as part of reviews we could include a very brief, skill level, interest, pro level etc etc ?...

e x
Back to top Go down
http://www.magicnights.co.uk
ALEXANDRE
Administrator
ALEXANDRE

Registration date : 2008-03-14

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 7:09 am

It's like reviews with everything else really. I have read bad reviews of movies I quite enjoyed and great reviews of shit.

I can write a glowing review about the "Cross-Cut Force" and be truthful in saying I have "killed" with it (and truly have) but only because I've made it work for me with my timing, subtleties, and with the occasional use of tarot cards which take it out of the context of "magic trick". I know magicians who would never use it under any circumstances, they can't make it work, therefore they hate it.

Anyway, here is a list of some things I've bought, read, watched, or played with of late, let me know if you want to see a review of it:

Sympathy Cards - Paul Vigil (eBook)
Up the Ante - Martyn Smith (eBook)
Search and Destroy - Aaron Fisher (DVD)
Win the Crowd - Steve Cohen (Book - no effects)
You Know Who card - Paul Brook (Effect)
Nothing - Max Maven (DVD)
Lennart Green (all his DVDs)
Connectivity - Alexandre (eBook - sure, I'll review my own shit, expect it to be good though)
Back to top Go down
http://www.EyesandMinds.com
Marcus Nogueira
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-06-15

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am

I actually have two review requests if anyone has the following materials (or inclined to purchase them):

Stuart Cumberland
Honestly, an honest review of anything by him would be great. His ad copy is such ridiculous amounts of hype that I am very reluctant to purchase any of his works.

Luke Jermay
While his ad copy isn't necessary as blatant as Stuart Cumberland's, I'm curious if he meets the reputation of his books or if what he does is something that only he can do.

Kenton Knepper
The worst offender, in my opinion. If any of the ad copies for his work could be believed then I could start a cult and live in glorious decadence. I steer clear of any product of his simply because the ad copy is just flabbergasting.

Stop Smoking Mentalism
A recent release that is being raved over. I'm actually inclined to purchase this because the boasts don't seem far fetched and none are from the publisher.
Back to top Go down
Dr Todd Landman
Neophyte
Neophyte
Dr Todd Landman

Registration date : 2008-03-16

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 12:49 am

Wine the Crowd is a really nice book and is a staple in my collection.

Stop Smoking Mentalism is a wonderful journey....a book length treatment of one routine but great insights into the whole point of mentalism....as they say...A Must Read!
Back to top Go down
http://www.todd-landman.com
Marcus Nogueira
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-06-15

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:33 am

Thank you, Dr. Todd. Would you mind if I asked which book Chris is referring to? I'd imagine it's the Essays.
Back to top Go down
Dr Todd Landman
Neophyte
Neophyte
Dr Todd Landman

Registration date : 2008-03-16

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes it is the Essays book...unless you are referring to my academic books Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.todd-landman.com
dean
Neophyte
Neophyte

Registration date : 2010-06-22

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:08 am

Greetings,

Before I start let me tell you my skill level.

I perform 8-10 times a month for adutls mainly walkround and tables but I also fit in a spook show too.
I am laso a fully qualifies Tarot Read but we all know that really does not mean anything.

I am still learning and honing my skills but I understand who I am when I perform and how I want pepole to see me.

I am charming and never cheesy
I am proffesional
I can Billet switch
I am a very good quick nail writer.
I believe in easy effects.
I bend coins but use pre-bent coins
I learn something new from all the bookings I get
I perform a chair routine
I am currently workin on a which hand/person effect with no gimmicks as I would love to be able to do a full 2 hours with just my self and a few bussiness cards.

I would like to review 120% Chestosterone and I will review some of Stuart Cumberland's work too after I have re-watched it.

This books has the following effects in it:

Zodiac:

an effect where you ask somebody to think of their star sign and then reveal which sign they are.

When I read this first I thought oh no it uses a panagram but there is so much more to this effect than that as there is subtleties and lots of thought has gone into it and it really is a very clean way of reading a clients mind please do not be put off as it is best I have read and I have read an awful lot zodiac effects.

Music was my first love.

I did not like this effect until I saw it performed and its fabulous a client chooses a song from a list and the performer starts to sing/hum the chosen tune. its fabulous and nice and easy.

Hello is a cell phone effect but I don't use one so I did not read this one, sorry.

Csi Book test is fabulous he has combined two methods into the ultimate book test I have performed this and its fabulous and I love it as you can tell the spectator what word they chose and what page number and its fabulous.

Ches Tear Its a centre tear which is lovely with a nice peek I do not perform a centre tear but I practised this one for about an hour last night and I am close to getting it down as it's just so nice.

Equivoque a nice little piece on this art with wee effect too.

Overall I love this book and it is the only book that I have ever read and been able to find 4 effects that I wanted to perform.

Dean

P.S

The last sentence does not take into account 13 steps MMM etc.

D

Last edited by dean on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dracinabox.com
agnostiker74
Neophyte
Neophyte
agnostiker74

Registration date : 2010-01-05

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:25 am

A short comment... (just knowing the German Version)

"Zodiac:

an effect where you ask somebody to think of their star sign and then reveal which sign they are.

When I read this first I thought oh no it uses a panagram but there is so much more to this effect than that as there is subtleties and lots of thought has gone into it and it really is a very clean way of reading a clients mind please do not be put off as it is best I have read and I have read an awful lot zodiac effects."

It is a principle by Daniel Love called Dream-Signs. Don't know if Mr Sass credits Mr Love.

You where talking about "Panagramm". Are you talking about the book with this title, or referring to the used technique? If you talk about the technique you mean a Branching- or Progressiv-Anagramm, even if this in the context of the Love/Sass routine is not really the case.
Back to top Go down
dean
Neophyte
Neophyte

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 6:49 am

Greetings,

He does mention dreamsigns but the effects are different and it uses part of a Progressiv-Anagramm but there is much more to the routine than that.

Have you read the German Version as I belive the zodiac effect is even stronger in its original langauge?

I forgot to say the Zodiac routine also comes with a powerpoint download to aid learning.

Ihope that answers your question if not please let me know as I will be happy to answer any questions

Dean

P.S

Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 4:43 am

dean wrote:
Greetings,

I am laso a fully qualifies Tarot Read but we all know that really does not mean anything.

D

Not at all, this is nearer to real magic!
There is no snobbery here!
Back to top Go down
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 4:49 am

120% Chestosterone

just read your review Dean - then did a quick bit of research - now I want it - for one simple reason - I feel that I have to have everything out there on my favourite technique!
damn thing is, I am all spent out for this month.
(just spent a fortune painting my car with magnetic paint so that I can find it in the car-park using Jon's absolutlybloodywonderful Factotum (review of this little miracle coming up)).
Back to top Go down
dean
Neophyte
Neophyte

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 3:35 pm

Thank you Christopher,

Thats unfair don't mention new toys as I am just about to buy tattoo.

Could somone revire the roshack cards by card sharl if you have them?

Alexandre I too use the criss cross force as its my favourite and probably my strongest effect as its just so clean and so so nice.

Right off to have a peak at this Factotum thing.

Kind regards

Dean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reviews! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reviews!   Reviews! Empty

Back to top Go down

Reviews!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alchemy Moon :: Archive :: The Old Moon :: ALBINO :: Things you want to buy!-