Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Welcome to Alchemy Moon.
From Negrado; the Great Work.
Alchemy Moon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

?

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
They are always with us.......
Similar topics

Review of Metaphysical Magic

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PaulPrater
Administrator
PaulPrater

Registration date : 2010-08-29

Review of Metaphysical Magic Empty
PostSubject: Review of Metaphysical Magic   Review of Metaphysical Magic EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:17 pm

I picked up this book recently after sharing a video of my stage show with another magician. The fellow magi who watched it said that I do what Dr. Todd calls "Metaphysical Magic." That was more than enough to get me intrigued. I bought the book and read it in one sitting. I will read it again.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the book. It is very intelligent and well constructed, if somewhat dry and studious. I don't mean any of that as an insult. I really enjoy reading magical theory and this book is a book of magic theory that is directed towards what we do. In finding my own path to my performance style, I found many comparisons to myself and Dr. Todd. We have somewhat similar backgrounds, and so, none of this is really a surprise.

If you are looking for a book of magic techniques, then this isn't the book for you. However, if you are looking for something to make you think about what we do as magicians and why, as well as provide a framework to answer questions that you may have about performing this stle of magic, then this book is a must. I recommend it and I am looking forward to the next release.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paulprater.com
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Review of Metaphysical Magic   Review of Metaphysical Magic EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 4:37 am

I bought DrTodd's book when it was first published, I find all of his work erudite and of value. I did promise a review, then - well, lots of things started happening, so I am glad you posted this Paul.

A very short note; I think the book is an essential purchase for the mystery performer. It is very personal, in that it really a description of the good Dr's own philosophy. This may be applicable to others, it may not. One thing is for certain, it will stimulate your own thought.
The book is very short and I would have likes to see Todd explore some of the themes in a little more depth - although, I would imagine that this is something of an overview, and the themes will be explored later in the series.
The book tickles a big fat question; why do we do what we do? What is our motivation? Dr Todd explores this in terms of developing a character that is congruent with your personality - but there is a deeper question that this book could give birth to.
Frankly, I do not need any more books of 'effects', I don't need any more 'tricks' - this leaves me very hungry for this kind of book.
I look forward with real anticipation to the rest in this series and urge all serious performers to have this on their bookshelf.
Back to top Go down
Dr Todd Landman
Neophyte
Neophyte
Dr Todd Landman

Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Review of Metaphysical Magic   Review of Metaphysical Magic EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 7:32 am

why thank you gentleman...much appreciated.....the book is a starting point to a much larger set of questions I am currently grappling with.

Volume II is, i'm afraid, a series of routines, effects, and utilities....
Back to top Go down
http://www.todd-landman.com
Christopher J Gould
Administrator
Christopher J Gould

Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Review of Metaphysical Magic   Review of Metaphysical Magic EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 am

ok, guess I can put up with one more!
Smile
Back to top Go down
Dr Todd Landman
Neophyte
Neophyte
Dr Todd Landman

Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Review of Metaphysical Magic   Review of Metaphysical Magic EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 7:41 am

I think you will like it Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.todd-landman.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of Metaphysical Magic   Review of Metaphysical Magic Empty

Back to top Go down

Review of Metaphysical Magic
Page 1 of 1